Governance & Leadership
The Governing body is made up of people from different groups, including parents, teachers and other staff which include the local authority, local business and community. A governor’s term of office usually lasts for four years.
The role of Governors is to provide a strategic view of the school, to ensure accountability and to be a critical friend. The Governing body is responsible for the overall direction of the school. It is not responsible for day to day matters which is the responsibility of the Headteacher Mr Dean Watkin. Governors also set and monitor targets, the school budget and the effectiveness of policies to ensure all students have a broad and balanced curriculum.
Our Governing Body had an External Review of Governance (ERG) on the 29th November 2018. This report is located below:
Governing Body Anual Impact Statement
Our Governing Body consist of:
- Chair of Governors: Business, public sector and community background.
- Vice Chair of Governors: Law and community background.
- Staff Governors: Specialist Provision and Drama backgrounds.
- Parent Governors: Law, community, public sector and business.
- Co-Opted Governors: Education, finance, community and business.
|End Date or Resignation|
|Andi Briggs||Co-opted||Chair of Governors||5 Dec 2016||4 Dec 2020|
|Sarah Easby||Parent||Vice Chair of Governors
Chair of PDBA
|27 May 2017||26 May 2021|
|Dean Watkin||Headteacher||N/A||April 2017||N/A|
|Becky Black||Co-opted||Chair of QoE||19 Sept 2018||18 Sept 2022|
|Julie Anderson||Co-Opted||18 September 2019||17 September 2023|
|David Baxter||Co-opted||28 Feb 2017*||27 Feb 2021|
|Clare Burdett||Co-opted (staff)||8 July 2015||07 July 2019|
|Sophie Simpson||Local Authority||9 Jan 2018||08 Jan 2022|
|Julie Kerr||Teacher||1 Sept 2019||31 Aug 2023|
|Debra Ladlow||Parent||12 Dec 2018||11 Dec 2022|
|Caley Mein||Co-opted||20 Mar 2019||19 Mar 2023|
* Previously a governor – term renewed.
- Instrument of Governance
- Register of Business Interests
- Attendance Records 2017/18
- Attendance Records 2018/19
- Committee Structures & Link Governors
- Whistleblowing Policy
If you would like any information about becoming a governor at Newsome High School School then please contact the Chair of the Governing Body, Mr A Briggs, via the school.